Friday, November 16, 2012

A Day in the City - Part 1 of 2

I realized recently that I have lived in the San Francisco Bay Area my entire life, but I've never been to any of the vista points surrounding the bridge.  Since I got my camera in June, it's been on my photographic "bucket list", and this weekend, I crossed it off.

I went with my Mom, which was a wonderful experience.  We started off our day with a surprise proposal (see my previous post about that).  Then, we cut loose from our responsibilities for a day and headed for The City. (An important rule: if you live in the Bay Area, you're not allowed to call it 'Frisco.  It's tacky.  Just call it The City.)

DSC_2226

DSC_2229

The weather was amazing, so everyone and their brother decided to join us at the vista points.  So much so that it made parking a nightmare.  Even the Marin County Fire Department was there to liberate a little boy who locked his parents out of the car.

11NOV12_Golden Gate Bridge-1-2

We were fortunate enough to find a parking space up Conzelman Road a ways and got some great shots from there.

DSC_2242

On our way back down the road, someone pulled out of a space at Battery Spencer so we swooped right on in.  The history of the Battery was amazing.  It was a fully functional and armed guard station with anti-aircraft guns boasting barrels with a 12" diameter up until 1943 when it was decommissioned.  What a perfect place to visit on Veteran's Day.

DSC_2327

DSC_2322

Seeing the architecture left behind after over 100 years was pretty interesting.  As I was walking through the Battery where our soldiers once stood protecting our Port, I couldn't help but look around at all the families and children that were running about.  I'd be willing to bet those who served here had no earthly idea that this place would be filled with the laughter of Children one day.

DSC_2332

DSC_2337

DSC_2339

DSC_2301

Once we were through the battery itself, we walked out onto a hilltop. There she stood, spanning the bay.  She was breathtaking in both her enormity and the sheer beauty of the day we had to spend with her.

DSC_2340

The bridge was more beautiful than I expected.  It was the most distinctive color of orange.  I wonder why they picked that color? 

DSC_2289

DSC_2296

DSC_2280

I can now fully understand why so many people were there with us, and why so many of them came from foreign countries to see such a spectacle.


I hope to bring my son here someday and teach him the importance of this international monument, as well as the Battery that once stood guard of Her.

Later on this same day, we traveled across this bridge and across the Bay Bridge to Treasure Island to photograph the night skyline. Photos from that session will be following soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment