Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Have you ever thought "I have a D-SLR, now what?"

Fair warning: this is a wordy post. 
Best read when you need to kill some time at work or after the kiddos hit the hay, but preferably not in the loo - that's just gross...

~~~
I know that was my first thought and, like many others, I have personally been found guilty of using my D-SLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex Camera) on fully automatic mode. *cringe* I've come a long way since then, but not without the help of others who have blazed the path before me.

You may be considering upgrading from your household compact cameras, receiving D-SLRs for Christmas gifts, or maybe you already own one but don't know what to do with it.  I thought it would be nice to share a couple of my favorite websites to help you get addicted started.

I'd like to share some resources with you that I have found ever so helpful. I want to make it crystal clear that I am not being compensated by any of these resources.  I am recommending them because, after weeding through a LOT of tutorials on YouTube and other crevices of the web, I find them to be the best.

I'll start with my favorite online guru, Jared Polin.  His website can be found at www.froknowsphoto.com and he also has a YouTube Channel that can be found HERE.  Jared very easy to understand and has hundreds of YouTube videos ranging from camera and lens reviews to understanding ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed, etc all without making you feel like a second grader.

Jared has recently published a 3 hour video - Fro Knows Photo: Go Above and Beyond Auto that can be purchased rather inexpensively. He also has a weekly Podcast called RAW Talk, and there are forums available on the website where you can post your photos for critique and ask photography related questions about gear, editing, etc. I have learned the majority of my skills from his website and I continue to learn and grow from it.

I have become a member of several local photography clubs through MeetUp.  You put in your interests and it shows groups in your area that do fun things, like photo walks, workshops, etc.  Most events are free, but there is a charge for others.  The knowledge I have gained by being able to ask real life questions has been invaluable - like "How do I move that little red focus dot on my viewfinder over to where I want to focus?" LIFE CHANGING!

Another great resource is your local Adult Education center or community college.  Unfortunately for me, all of the courses seem to be in the middle of the day when I'm working at my real job.  I am hopeful that someday I'll be able to take a course though.

I think everyone should know how to use their camera, pro or not, to capture the impromptu memories that would otherwise fly away like dandelions in the fall.

I thought it might be fun to post a little  photo set of where I started all the way to where I am now.  Check it out over on my Flickr page. Just click on the first image, press "L" on your keyboard and hit play.


No comments:

Post a Comment